15 Aug Improve Your Flexibility with Stretch Pilates
Pilates is great to improve overall strength and flexibility. Anyone who is looking to improve their overall health, through a relaxed atmosphere should check out stretch Pilates.
What is Stretch Pilates?
Pilates is a low-impact exercise, that focuses on stretching, deep breathing and strengthening. There are six main principles associated with Pilates.
- Concentration: Pilates calls for total focus and concentration. It is important to be aware of your body, performing smooth movements. It is important to focus on performing the exercise properly.
- Control: Muscle control is key. You want to be able to control your movement, as well as your body in terms of any apparatus you may be using.
- Centring: It is important to be aware of your center. All movements should be flowing out from your center (abdomen, hips, back, inner thighs, etc.) and through to your limbs. Many instructors will refer to your center as your ‘powerhouse’.
- Flow: When you’re performing movements, there should be a sense of flow. Movements should be flowing into one another in order to yield the best results.
- Breathing: Proper breathing is crucial within stretch Pilates. Participants are instructed to breathe deep into their lower rib cage. Breathing techniques will be taught within class.
- Precision: It’s not about simply doing the applied movements; it’s about doing them right. Precision is everything, and it’s meant to flow over into your everyday life.
Benefits of Stretch Pilates
Here’s a list of the main benefits that stretch Pilates offers:
- Develop Core Strength: Pilates will allow you to work on the strength of your abdomen, while targeting your back as well. When you strengthen your core, you’ll feel better during your everyday activities.
- Increased Flexibility: By participating in Pilates, you will improve your overall flexibility. This will prevent muscle injury down the road.
- Low-impact: Many like the low-impact appeal that Pilates offers. This is beneficial on your joints. Movements may be smooth, but don’t let that fool you. You will receive a full mind-body workout.
- Movement Techniques: You will learn how to properly move your body. Pilates allows individuals to become more aware of their body, promoting proper control.
- Decreases Stress: You will be so focused, that your stress levels will decrease. Pilates is a great exercise to control stress levels. Fitness overall tends to help with individuals who suffer from high levels of stress.
Here are a couple Pilates positions to show what you can expect.
- The Hundred: This exercise is meant to be held for a hundred beats. This exercise requires you to lie on your back, while your head and legs are raised off the floor. This offers an opportunity to strengthen your body and increase stability.
- Roll Up: This exercise position has the participant rolling down to the floor. Starting in an upright position while sitting on your mat, you would roll down until your flat on the floor. You would then proceed to roll back up. This is all about breathing and the accuracy of movement.
Pilates is a great way to get your body moving, while experiencing very low-impact. You will increase your strength, balance and stability. Try it out today, you’ll be on your way to healthier you.